Monday, April 11, 2016


An invisible disability, no limp or staggering slur / et al, those who have survived a TBI, experience their transformation like ghosts. Cognitive issues such as memory loss and difficulty and/or struggling to focus, read or listen hides itself well. Whereas I now most resemble (at least in my view and experience) a ninety five year old home bound man. Yes, I'm better than I was but improvement comes exceedingly slow. And how far can I go?

My excessive reading, staying strong, experiencing the peace of mind through a quiet mind. Sleeping well, ability to socialize and make decisive decisions. Laughingly, I need someone to visit me. Take me out. Feed me. As one who knew Tai Chi, Qigong, the benefit of meditation, many methods of exercise, I'm an old hermit in the woods. But there has been improvement. I read a little. Can't play the guitar too well. I walk regularly but not without difficulty. Pain meds and muscle relaxants in addition to anxiety and depression meds with excessive insulin resistance..... Hemingway calls!

After my ICU and Rehab hospital stay I underwent physical and cognitive therapy locally and later with the magnificent Spaulding Rehab. I saw a neuropsychologist. And Disability states after me having an interesting and versatile career that I can never hold any position once held. But there must be something I can do.

Huh?

I'm continuing. I am using this Blogger vehicle as a journal. I hope that a few TBI survivors may also gain hope. Perhaps exchange ideas.

My first use of the phrase, "Going Hemingway" came about as I worked hard at writing a book. Ernest had said, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter (or computer) and bleed." After seventy five percent completion, my "Cluster B" personality wife destroyed my computer and my back up CD's. There it lies today.

Life goes on....



No comments:

Post a Comment