Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Depression Game

We can likely agree that depression travels the world and lights upon as many as it can. I could discuss depression on many levels based on multiple thoughts but my primary reason is about you and me.

Depression is not exactly the same for all of us. And because we are designed differently and our traumatic brain injuries are not all identical, depression treatment can also vary. I have observed that many years of meditation brought me into a position of being observational without judgement.. Meditation helps one come to an analogy point of one watching clouds drift from horizon to horizon. We watch the clouds on a blue sky. If watching our thoughts come and go as we do the clouds we are not under the tutorial of our thinking. With practice, cloudy or raining or winter creates watching and non-judgmental awareness.

The result of having a TBI is we loose our groove. Like the needle on a record we begin to skip or fly off the record entirely. Then we often search for the same record or some way of placing the needle back in the groove.

When I awaken from a negative or a restful sleep getting up to greet the day is usually a battle. The depressive drive desires that I sit and wallow and want escape more than I want today. In the depression game I seek to do the opposite. Like being tired and worn out I know that I must continue my path and not lie down at the end of the field. Difficult, but in time one learns that this is a winning move. Not easy.

How do you continue on?

No comments:

Post a Comment